Although most days when I wake up I start with something that will set my day up for happy, peaceful and joyful experiences, today I went on-line first thing. I was struck this morning while reading the aol headlines (yes, i am still stuck on the aol format) about a young actress and her husband’s death (Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack) This was illegibly due to mold in their home.
While starting a recent project in Boca Raton, Florida we uncovered a large amount of black mold. I was surprised, as I have not run into it much lately in the northeast, but given the humidity in Florida I would imagine it is more prevalent there. Immediately, we demoed the space and re-sheetrocked. At that time I did not really comprehend what an important health discovery it was. My client already has a chronic sinus issue and asthma.
I am not sure we (the design community, home owners and in particular new buyers) consider looking for hidden toxins in our environment when we are not feeling well or looking to buy.
After taking a quick look at resources I see the ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) is educating their members to look for toxins. Also, many healers are taking air quality into account.
My favorite medical healer, Dr. Manik, had us buy high quality air purifiers years ago. I think I will start to use them again, as the air in NYC is quite different from that of the Berkshires or even Ct. (All of which I spend good amounts of time in.)
Now that it is front page news in the entertainment section it should be more in the forefront for the public.
Have a joyous and easy breathing day!